Wednesday, April 18, 2018

One Of The Cool Things

about tripping on acid is, that if you have, say, a tape recorder running, you will capture yourself in moments that seem sublime at that particular time, but that will still sound interesting once the acid wears off.
I woke up like a lover full of regret, wondering if I would respect the music that I had done in the small hours of the morning, before falling off into sleep, well after the sun had come up, and even after the sounds of vehicle doors slamming outside told me that it was around 8 AM.
I really hadn't banked on tomorrow ever coming, as I had stayed in from busking, knowing that I had only 52 cents.
I had gotten Harold some good food, though, before going broke.
The music that I recorded is good enough to be used in a project. There were long stretches where I played rhythm guitar without singing, leaving room to sing over them in the park, or maybe at the spot down the river walk that Colin Mitchell uses for practicing and warming up.
It is better to record vocals in the dryness of the open air with almost zero reverberation and echo, and then to add those later. It is the opposite of singing in a shower, or maybe even a car; where you might be inspired by the reverberation, which actually gives the singer a backing track of sorts.
Sounding good out in the middle of a field is the true test of a vocalist; even the "Sound of Music" singers were in the Alps and had that "alpine" reverberation and echo mixed in with their sound.
If Colin likes that particular spot for "the acoustics," then that would pose a problem for me if I wanted to apply my own processing to it. Or accept that all the vocals are going to sound like they are at that spot.
I sort of have to go out and play tonight, to balance off the working on projects with the generating of income.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'd be more careful about random hits of acid, myself. But then, I've never tripped and am not that interested in it. One time, though, I was tipped a grape Swisher, and I'd always been curious about those. Right after I got it, a guy I knew came up and wanted it. I told him he could have it but I want to take a puff or two then he could have the rest. It tasted simultaneously like a cigar and like grape Kool-Ade. Weird!

    Another time I was hanging out in front of The Blue Lagoon, one of Santa Cruz's dive bars, and a guy was out front too and got out some cloves and offered me one and we stood around and smoked our cloves and made small talk. I mean, I'm not a smoker, but I randomly smoked most of this clove cig.

    I mean, I guess acid has less inherent danger than a lot of things. It's on little pieces of paper, right? They're not going to put too much on there because that wastes acid, man. The worst case, they're weak or you get nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.