Monday, March 5, 2018

In Limbo

I Screw Up My Hard Drive, Trying To Put Linux On It, Alongside Windows
My computer is in limbo.
I was trying to install Linux on the same drive as had Windows 10 on it.
I was supposedly putting it in the unused space, hoping that I would be able to run Linux for everything that I do, except the Audacity audio editor.
After I installed it, though, it wouldn't boot, and neither would the Windows.
So, right now, I can't get at anything on my computer, and have to boot off of a "live" disc, which I am doing now.
I can't even save anything, now that I think of it.
The old Linux disc, I can't get into because the machine is telling me that it is "encrypted."
If this is the case, then I would have used the same password that I use for everything, these days.
I know "they" tell you not to use the same password for everything; the point being that, if someone cracks it, then they can get into everything from your blog to your credit card; but, if you use different ones, then you will have to write them down somewhere and someone is more likely to find that sheet of paper than she is to guess your password of Harold, er, or...whatever it might be...
Right now, I am going to have to start from scratch, booting up off a CD and then saving my work onto a flash drive.
275 gigabytes of music, half of which is my own, I may never hear again.
But, I'm not going to freak out until after I go to a computer technician and see what might be done.

1 comment:

  1. You'd be better off Googling around, because a computer tech will want you to pay them.

    An interesting problem I ran into recently was, the latest version of Windows 10 didn't have drivers for the SD card reader that's built into my computer. It took me a while to come to this conclusion, and I read a lot of comments on help forums. I walked the block over to Fry's and got a USB 3.0 (so very recently made) SD card reader and now I just use that. A $15 instant fix.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bottles that wash up with notes in them