Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh

I Just got back from the Quarter; it is 1:50 AM.
My alarm is set to go off at 8:50 AM
I left the Lilly Pad just before midnight, intent upon being in bed an hour ago, but, I was captivated by the Stanley Cup playoff game between the Anaheim Ducks and the Chicago Blackhawks, which was in triple overtime. I hadn't really watched hockey since the early 70's, when the Boston Bruins were winning the cup with Bobby Orr on the team.
The way they are playing the game now, these teams would smoke the old Bruins off the ice.
I had played for 2 and a half hours and made just about 11 bucks.
6 of them came from a couple that stopped and chatted for about 45 minutes.
The girl (who sang along and harmonized pretty well) was wearing frankincense and myrrh. I asked her if it was sandalwood when I first smelled it.
There was more money out there, after midnight; but probably not enough to warrant cutting into my sleeping time.
One cool thing that happened was: after I played my last song, "Candle In The Wind," by Elton John, and was packing up; I heard the piano player inside Lafitts playing it.
Someone who had stepped out for a cigarette must have heard me; and then gone in and requested it. Unless it was a coincidence...

I have an appointment at 

 the above tomorrow.
I was afraid that they were going to reduce my food benefits; since I am no longer homeless.
They didn't, but I am now required to pursue employment.
Hey, bring it on.
Since I average about 15 bucks per hour busking, it would be a waste of time to work too many hours at a minimum wage job, in one sense; but the work would be half as hard for half the money.
It is the "further requirements" that I am worried about...
It would be nice to work, say, 20 hours at Krystals, or wherever,  and have a steady $120 per week coming in; come rain or shine; and it would make busking totally optional; and that's when the best money comes in busking -when the guy is just sitting there enjoying himself, with no pressure on him to produce. The enjoyment is contageous.
The 5 dollar tip that I got last night came from a lady who said to her husband: "He's not intrusive; he's just sitting there enjoying himself," in arguing for the money from him.
After walking the length of Bourbon Street, an unobtrusive person is a breath of fresh air....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.