Saturday, July 12, 2014

Nobody Thinks That I Will Actually Travel

Thursday night, into Friday morning, I was right here on this laptop, doing everything from my little Facebook "Friend Vote Off" game, which I invented, to God knows what.
The sun actually came up on me; as I sat here using the wi-fi outside PJ's Coffee and, by the time I got to the dock it was heavily secured with people, who all seemed to know that I was the guy seen coming out from under it. They had just never seen me go under.
I worked a bit on an audio file, by the topside of the dock, as a guy sat in plain view, who had taken up that post as soon as I neared the dock, sitting as he was in a chair on the lowest deck of the boat; from which would be seen my ducking under it.
I was faced with the fact that it was Friday morning, and I had not gotten to sleep at my "accustomed" time of about 3 p.m.; and if I was going to sleep, then it would have to be at the sign spot.

The Sign Spot, In
Better Days...
And, it would have to be in the heat, un-buffeted by the dock.
When I had gone into Uniques at about 9 in the morning, on my way to the sign spot; some skeezer told me that I smelled. I almost wanted to pull out my wad of money and say; "Yeah, a guy works up a sweat making this kind of money!" but I refrained from doing so, mostly because I didn't have a wad of money.
I ran into a young guy who had given me a book by Samuel Beckett ("Waiting For Godot") right before leaving my wi-fi spot.
I started to read "Texts About Nothing," in an attempt to become sleepy. I determined that Samuel Beckett was an absolutely worthless writer. I read his stuff out loud, sitting there by the sign; and punctuated his prose with "Really?" "Are you serious?" and other ejaculations in response to what I was reading. I found him to be impossibly contradictory. He would say "It was ingenious; but, no... it was actually stupid..." and stuff like that. I wondered if it was just due to the age in which his stuff was published; that he actually ever saw print.
I slept a bit, but not much.
Where I have domestic tranquility, replete with the comforts of a 5 foot alligator, a night heron, a few spiders, a turtle and perhaps 31 rats, under the dock; at the sign spot, I had the horror of ants and a few flies.
I can sleep through all of that, if I set my mind to it; I can block out flies landing upon my skin; but...I think I have become spoiled.
It is through some miracle that I got any sleep at all; and enough of it to make me think that I could go out and busk. It was Friday night, after all.
I procrastinated....severely.
I was at Tanya and Dorise' spot at about 10 p.m.
I was flat broke.
I re-borrowed the 5 bucks which I had paid back to Dorise, which she hadn't remembered lending me.
I listened to a couple of songs before that. They are playing very well; and have really seemed to have taken up the general challenge of playing anything requested; with Dorise pulling up an application on her phone which is essentially a fake book; and Tanya just playing the melody out of her head.
I can't help but think that Tanya is like those people who can solve a Rubiks Cube in 17.8 seconds; but she can just do it musically.
I borrowed the 5 dollars back, as I chatted with Dorise; while a crowd of about 40 encircled them; to include skeezers who have long been conditioned to just not ask the girls for money. They are like Royalty on Royal Street; and, if they started lending money; then; look out; every skeezer in kingdom come would...well; the reader gets the point...
I really felt kind of privileged; to have exchanged quiet words with Dorise and to have seen, in front of the whole group of tourists; and the hangers on, who want to be there to make the girls feel more secure or to offer services such as watching their stuff when they take a break; or the ones who just want to avail themselves of a pretty darned good free concert on the street; to have borrowed 5 bucks right out of their basket.
Then, I went to Rouses Market and was able to trade a food item for a beer and etc....
It was a pretty good night; I am playing well, but not as good as when sober.
I have gotten some good information about traveling and am psyched to do so.....but; that is like the boy who cried "wolf," nobody thinks I will actually travel.....

1 comment:

  1. I mentioned before that you could do well making yourself handy to Tanya and Dorise, like be their "bottler"; the guy who carries the hat around and makes sure the crowd isn't stingy, or who helps them set up and break down, or who adds in a bit of something cute like washboard, or a combination of these types of tasks.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.