Monday, November 25, 2013

The Eagle Flies On Friday

...and Saturday, I'll go out and play...
  • Leslie Gets A Job
  • Karrie Encountered
  • Full House A Losing Hand
"Hello, and welcome to Chris Owens.
My name is Leslie and I'll be your ID checker.
We cater to a very distinguished class of people and I'm sure you will fit right in.
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you..."
Leslie got the call Friday night at 9:30 p.m. from one of the dozen or so prospective employers whom he interviewed with, and after telling the manager of Chris Owens club on Bourbon Street that he could be there in 15 minutes, donned his one fancy suit (shown) and arrived there 12 minutes later.
He drew 50 dollars in cash for 5 hours of "Standing there looking at pretty women and checking IDs."
Meanwhile, I was up the street, making a 20 dollar tip from one man who said: "Wow, I've been across the street listening to you play for (looking left and right) apparently nobody; and you are putting so much energy into what you are doing regardless; just for the love of it; that I just want to tell you that it is humbling..."
That was humbling.
I made a few extra singles from apparently nobody; before taking a break, and running into Leslie, who was to get off at 3 a.m, and took these photos of him.
The black couple to his right, above, came out and said "You're taking pictures?!? That's not cool!" after I snapped this one.
There are people all up and down Bourbon Street constantly snapping pictures of everything under the sun (or the neon) even the strippers who stand in the doorways wearing lingerie.
I guess the tourists, and the Asians in particular, are expected to be taking pictures and are overlooked.
I was invited to crash at his place, as the temperature had started to plummet by that hour.
Leslie promised to start reimbursing me for all the drinks which I had bought him over the previous 3 weeks, and that began immediately after a walk to Brothers Market.
Steve And Selena
He neglected to inform me that Steve and Selena were already there, until we were at his gate.
Charlie and Sue (the wheelchair skeezers) have been barred from the premises by the landlord, due to their unpopularity with the nearby neighbors who have regularly seen them pushing their folded wheelchairs up Leslies walkway; without a trace of a limp; after taking their "removeable" casts off.
Steve and Selena seem to be their replacements.
"They are nothing like Charlie and Sue," Leslie promised.
I can't tell.
They basically make themselves at home there.
Steve is all cut up after being purportedly attacked with a knife, under the bridge where the two had been sleeping. He has stitched up scars on his forehead, forearms, and one across his throat which appears to be only a superficial scratch.
As Leslie and I were leaving the next morning, and I was the second one out; no sooner had he disappeared when I observed before closing the door behind me; them scrambling around; moving to Leslies bed to arrange their blankets there, flipping on the TV, etc. and seeming happy to have Leslie out of their way..
The food that I put in the refrigerator would be decimated; the stove would have its burners run full blast to take the chill out of the place; showers would be taken; soap and shampoo used; and there would be no toilet paper for the next hapless soul, by the end of Saturday evening.
Sunday morning, there was to be a Thanksgiving event at The Bridge House -yet another service center for the homeless, and the farthest one from Leslies apartment at about a 3 mile distance.
Steve declined to come along with us because he had a hole in the (hospital) pants which he was wearing.
"I can't go out like this; it's unacceptable!" he admonished Leslie, in a tone of voice which implied "And don't expect me to!"
"Yeah, Leslie!" chimed in Selena, in a tone which implied: "What's the matter with you?!?"
Selena opted out also: "I didn't get to sleep until 4 in the morning; I'm still dead tired!"
There was to be clothing and turkey dinners handed out; and Leslie promised to get Steve a pair of pants; and to carry those items the 3 miles back to them.
Leslie The Pacifier
"Is that OK? Is everything copacetic?" he asked them with his trademark smile.
Everything was fine; they weren't offended that Leslie suggested that they leave his place, tired and with a hole in the (side) of ones pants; to come along and get food and clothing for themselves. They would wait there.
"But don't take forever," said Selen.
"It would be a lot easier if we had our own copy of the key," she had the gall (in my opinion) to add.
I caught them again out of the corner of my eye, licking their lips and wasting no time making themselves comfortable before we were even out of the door.
Just like Charlie and Sue used to do...
Karrie Sighted
We were on our way back to the house; Leslie laden with 3 styrofoam containers of food in one arm and a bag of clothing in the other, when we spotted Karrie, sitting in the sun by a wall and drinking water -just water.
I introduced her to Leslie and we wound up walking together; and at one point I rubber her head and her shoulders the way she always loved to have done...
"I need to straighten my life out," she told me...

1 comment:

  1. You can help her straighten her life out! Teach her a musical instrument or the tambourine or anything, and you'll have a partnership for busking, and make a lot more money ...

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.