Saturday, October 19, 2013

I Deserve A Break Today

"Howard" Bio Begun
So far today, I have woken up under the Simon Bolivar statue, where I had repaired to in the middle of the night after it had started to rain.
McSkeezers
I dug up the 24 dollars which I had buried in the mulch at about 1 a.m., after I had eaten 2 containers of the sushi which I had found outside Rouses Market (they've been putting it in an easy to find black bag, lately) then went to sleep.
I went to McDonalds to use their restroom.
There were plenty of McSkeezers out front; to include Amy, who was standing on the sidewalk patiently watching the door for activity.
When I came back outside, she (already) had a large bag of food, which she was eating out of..
Skeezer Kings
The others were running back and forth between McDonalds (where they could take shelter from the rain) and The Unique Boutique, where they could exchange the money which they had gotten "so I can get a hamburger," for Hurricane Lager and its ilk.
It was 9:30 a.m.
Leslie Jam
I jammed with Leslie (two harmonicas, guitar and vocals) on Wednesday night, and we actually made money from the few people who walked past.
My harp was in E flat, Leslies in B flat; both Marine Band brand; and I was surprised how good we sounded.
Leslie made repeated trips to The Unique Boutique; which was a good 7 blocks away; for beer, with each tip which went into the case.
During one of those trips; he encountered a marine and his girlfriend; gave them directions which netted him 2 dollars; and then made 20 dollars off of them after insisting that they hear "Oh, Susanna" played by him on his harmonica.
Ugg, ugg, ugg, well beg me down!
Thursday night, I made about 40 bucks at the Barnaby spot, after Leslie took it upon himself to leave me alone for a couple hours; after seeing that I wasn't making anything with him sitting next to me.
Friday night, Leslie and I jammed again at that same spot and about 20 dollars went into my case.
I had been buying Leslie drinks all day; as his employer was up in Boston watching the Red Sox game, and there was no work to be had for him; so I appropriated the money and told him that I was going to take a walk and then return.
His half would have been just about what I had spent upon him the entire day.
He seemed to take the hint and went in an opposite direction.
That particular jam exposed some of the weaknesses in Leslies musicianship, and I had the feeling that I would have made the same 20 dollars, if not more, by myself.
Reactions To Leslie
A Bit Of A Pariah?
Leslie is well known around the French Quarter.
Tanya and Dorise give me tacit signs of disapproval when I show up along with him.
Lilly and her daughters scurried past us and into their house last night without saying much at all; except that they were (all) "tired."
Barnaby arrived on his bicycle as Leslie and I were just leaving; and were throwing our trash into his receptacle.
His greeting was rather short; and I couldn't help reading "What are you hanging out with this loser for?" between the lines.
I guess none of my friends want me to wind up like him -the way they perceive him, at least.
He is easily offended and will cause a "scene" at the slightest provocation, and has, at several places around the Quarter.
He often tells me "I'll wait outside" instead of accompanying me into businesses, usually citing a particular person with whom he has had a confrontation, who is inside.
I seem to have a calming effect upon him; like music and the proverbial savage beast; but none of my friends have asked "Who's your friend?" when we are seen together; as if they are already well familiar with him and are not touching him with a pole of any length.
I went to Sydneys, after our "gig," where I splurged on 2 cans of Sierra Nevada IPA ale; which rendered me unable to continue playing at the standard which I have set for myself, and in doing so, spent myself down to the 24 dollars which I unearthed this morning.
Now it is Saturday; and my goal is to make it until 2 a.m. without doing the same again.

1 comment:

  1. You just need to get in touch with your inner skeeze. Leslie is sort of "Prince Of The Skeezers" and may pick you up as his successor. This would normally be insulting but I've been reading this thing for years and it seems like a natural progression. So, go with it I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.