Thursday, July 18, 2013

About A Lucky Man...

I Find 42 Dollars Laying On The Floor
After writing yesterdays post, and mentioning that I was trying to scrape up "at least 35 dollars" as travelling money, I left the computer and was walking out towards the lobby of the library and there was 42 dollars sitting on the floor.
I pocketed it; aware that it could not have been laying there for very long; due to the amount of traffic in that area; even though it was almost closing time and the place had thinned out.
I got on one of the 30 minute "express" computers to put the finishing touches on my blog post; all the while keeping my ears pealed for the sound of someone asking the librarians if anybody found any money laying on the floor; or for the sound of the librarians telling someone to check the lost and found.
After the half hour was up, I left the library; feeling slightly guilty over the fact that I hadn't been more pro-active in trying to return the money.
I had a feeling that the two 20 dollar bills could have been returned; and the two 1 dollar bills might have been my reward, if the person was just as poor as I and really needed the money.
But then, I thought that, either the person wasn't aware of losing it, or couldn't think of where they may have dropped it, or didn't show up during the half hour because they were rich enough to say "Oh, well. It will make somebody happy..." and just let it go.
42 dollars is the exact same amount which was in the purse which I found (and returned) in Baton Rouge almost a year ago...
I went to Royal Street, stopping at The Unique Boutique for a 24 oz. Twisted Tea, and a pack of smokes; as a way of "splurging" on myself.
Then, it was off to work.
The Guy With The Really Loud Voice Who Plays A Fender Guitar
I passed The Guy With The Really Loud Voice Who Plays A Fender Guitar, who was set up near Hotel Monteleone.
He uses an amp, but only for his guitar and sings without a mike.
He is the arch enemy of Jesse (The Grizled Old Guy) because, in Jesse's opinion, he sets up too close to him and pulls business away from the ATM machine across the street from where Jesse sits.
"...I used to see people over there, doing their transactions, and they get to hear me for more than just 10 seconds; and a lot of times, they will come right across the street and throw me a tip...Now thet're hearing a mixture of me and that guy bellowing out whatever that crap is that he sings..."
His voice is a little rough, but well suited to his material, which seems to come from the 90's. He was singing a song by the band called "Live," when I walked up.
He has been here for two years, though I only remember meeting him a couple times, because he used to play on Chartres Street, where I never had the need to walk past; and where I actually avoided because of Caveman Guru in his efficiency apartment nearby.
Half of the mixture
I keep asking him why he plays on Royal Street, and hint that I have found much better spots (for what I do, specifically).
He keeps telling me that Royal Street is where it is at and has whipped out large wads of bills on more than one occasion in front of me.
The last time he did that, he was holding about seven 20 dollar bills.
They were all "facing" (the same way) and all crisp and in the same newish condition; as if they had come out of an ATM machine.
"They were tipping 20 dollar bills this morning!," he had gloated.
"Wow, no tens or fives or ones?!" I asked, barely concealing my sarcasm.
"No, these were all rich people," he said.
I had walked away thinking about the probablility of 7 individuals each throwing a 20 dollar bill;  all in the same new condition and folded uniformly so that the bills fit together like spoons and all bearing the "G" seal of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
Ron The Surfer
The new ferry scedule does not bother Ron the Surfer.
He is still staying in the stand of cedar trees.
The guy with the weed whacker (far left) is cool with Ron having his tent pitched in the stand; where you can't even see it (not shown above) and his stuff up in the cedar trees, ditto.
Ron is really a "people person:" is almost covered in tattoos and surfs.

Ron does a good job concealing things up in trees, evidently.
Yes, that is a trailor of the kind which is pulled behind a bicycle, up there in the tree; along with a copious supply of camping gear, etc.
The tent isn't up there, as it had been, because Ron now keeps it permanently pitched.
I don't trust the citizens of Algiers not to drop a dime on he and Howard; maybe out of envy, should they see the lap of luxury that they are nestled in and think it not fair that they are not paying rent....
I Played and made about 10 bucks that night...

2 comments:

  1. What's your long term goal? California? You should just go. Just get on a train or the on-ramp etc and just ... go. You keep diddling around in a small circle and end up just coming back to NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your long term goal? California? You should just go. Just get on a train or the on-ramp etc and just ... go. You keep diddling around in a small circle and end up just coming back to NOLA.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.