Sunday, June 2, 2013

How Swede It Is

It is Sunday morning and I am at a coffee house on Royal Street, and have just paid 2 dollars for a small coffee and I am now using their (Computer is for customer use only. Please limit to 20 mins if another customer is waiting -Thank You) computer.
I just wanted to post something;
Yesterday (Saturday) was an active day.
I was bored in the morning, and not being a morning player; I hung out with Tanya and Dorise as they were setting up their stuff.
I Become A Rental Agent
I went to Rouses Market, where I was approached by two young men from Sweden who asked me where they could find a store that sold used guitars "like a pawn shop, or something..."
I had informed them about the 2 stores which I have gone to; and gave them directions.
Somehow, we got on the subject of my guitar; and that lead to a discussion of my old guitar; which I was trying to sell for 20 bucks.
"Oh, that's the one we want,:" they chimed almost in unison.
Well, soon I was riding Tanyas bike to Dorises house to get the guitar while the Swedes (Jon and Matz) sat and listened to them.
They were entertained by "Dancing Queen," the ABBA, song, I later learned.
I returned with the guitar and the bike in one piece. "I had to double back to pick my hat up off the road a couple times, or I would have been here sooner..."
Friends, Indeed
A special thanks to Tanya and Dorise, who took time out of their work; to do the Good Work of helping me
I tuned it and plucked a few things to demonstrate to them that, despite the appearance of the Jasmine, it was a "serviceable" instrument.
They began to play and sing while Tanya took her bike to lock it somewhere.
They were pretty darned good, especially at vocal harmonies; very together; like they might be brothers...
Tips started to go into their case.
People standing around waiting for T&D to resume were smiling and not seeming to comunicate: "Hey, will you guys shut up so the girls can play; we didn't come to hear you!,"
especially when they played and sang a Phish song called "Waste."
I left to go to the store and joked "You guys will have your 20 dollars back in no time if you keep that up.."
"No, all this is yours, bro" said one of them.
They were singing a song in Swedish when I left for the store.
My Big Younger Sister
Dorise pulled me aside and asked: "How much did you work them for; for that?"
The guys were hitting a crescendo of musical bliss in the background; with the guitar and a 6 pack of Heineken..
"20 bucks"
She shook her head in a way that said "You need to learn how to hustle a bit, Daniel"
"But they're gonna give the guitar back before they leave for home; I can sell it again!"
When I got back from the store, there was a considerable pile of money in the case; like 15 one dollar bills.
"Wow, the Swedish song really got them!" I teased, suspecting otherwise.
I figured that they had added the money as a bonus for me having ridden the formidable bumps and divots of Royal Street, guitar on my shoulder and one hand holding my hat on my head, to deliver them the instrument, which they said was "perfect."
"Yeah, they love Swedish music," said the one named Mats, with a wry grin and almost a wink towards John, the other one.
Another Theory
Or Dorise, ever the big sister and patron saint,  might have struck up a conversation with them which may have ostensibly been in the guise of an innocent inquiry such as: "So, how much did you have to pay Daniel for the guitar; just curious..."
And, may have included such statements as;
"You got a good deal; Daniel needs to learn to ask for more money; this is New Orleans. He's not too 'big', but he is too 'easy,'" or some other allusion to the fact that they could throw me some more cash.
"......he's not too big, but he is too easy!"
I don't know exactly; but there was more money in my case and I wound up with over 30 dollars for renting the Jasmine out.
"We only want a guitar to play while we are on vacation; we will give it back to you next Wednesday" sweetened the pot also; both literally and figuratively.
The Swedes had made quick friends with Tanya and Dorise and were teaching them a Stone Temple Pilots song, during a break.
I told them they could drop the guitar off at Caseys In The Quarter in care of Dana.
I just need to give Dana a heads up about it.....
A Few Cents For A New Scent
I then went and did pretty well that night after I bought a vial of essential (Patchouli) oil, and will most likely put new strings on the Yamaha...
It was a good day.
The Swedes said that Tanya and Dorise "have it all...They're beautiful and they sound great and they compliment each other musically; Dorise sounds like 2 instruments, playing bass and rhythm and they are super professional, pick songs that people love; and have the added charm of being Chinese and African American which just adds spice and intrigue..."
Do ya think???
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.