Thursday, March 14, 2013

Algerians Make Contact


And, so I have changed my background of my desktop to the photo to the left.


Last night I guess I proved that I can make at least something if within a group of people and playing my ass off.
Easily 10 Bucks Per Box
A couple handed me a bag of what they referred to as "sweets," as in their question of "Do you eat sweets," by the lady.
"I actually started to say that I in fact avoided "sweets;" envisioning pecan brittle by the pound, or something.
It turned out, after they still gave me the bag after I promised that I would give them to my friend Howard "who LOVES sweets" that it contained pastries which were small and were sweet enough to compensate for their size by being filled with stuff which was like heavy cream whipped together with marmalade (I tried a couple). 
Food Security
I came into an abundance of food; to wit: chunks of a lasagna type food; accompanied by a garlic bread which was almost supernaturally sweet; and corn; corn soaked in butter; just good yellow corn, not too crispy nor soft.
I think I know what the deal is with that particular location.
The security people get free meals, right out of the hotel kitchen; and half of them throw the things away; or rather, place them in a clean plastic bag and set them upright, next to the trash can outside.
It's as if they put them there just for Stephen...
I had three heavy Styrofoam containers, each one containing about 4 pounds of lasanga and corn and bread; I thought about Howard.
It was about 10 p.m. and he would be out like a light.
I ate two of them; washing them down with a Hurricane Lager.
"Wake Up, It's Cold Lasagna!"
I got to the other side and set a lasagna near Howard, and then, remembering the sweets; went back and was placing them next to the lasagna when he stirred and, after he seemed to orient himself, I told him that the two containers which I had just placed by him was "food."
I heard him fumbling with the carton briefly and then; silence. ...I could have eaten all three...
This morning, I woke up with enough money for a new .26mm guitar string, and I will soon buy one to replace the one that I really finished off last night, and to cover most of my other "expenses."
I am now off to get the Audacity manual on line so I can hopefully start messing with it. 
Algerians Make Contact
Beautiful Algiers

A Man Of Great Resource
This morning, as I sat in ferry terminal on the Algiers side, with my laptop plugged in and charging; and my mp3 player plugged into it and charging (and being loaded with mp3 songs), I was approached by a young black man who looked no more than 20 and who was a bit heavy set and friendly.
He wound up telling me about all of the "homeless resources" on the Algiers side of the river.
He said that he could take me to a place which gave out clothing; "nice clothing" and which was only a 20 minute walk to, on the Algiers side of the river.
He seemed alright; and gave me quite a run-down on where one could eat "good food" for free; and where one could trade their food stamps for cash.*
*This puts even more money into the local economy because the government pays for the 200/month worth of food, and then the card holder goes out and pumps the cash into the economy; letting the beer and wine stores in on the bonanza; it's a win-win situation.
It drives the wheels of the food industry, keeps the economy stable.
Business owners do pay taxes; but I'm sure that the amount of revenue which comes in their door in the form of food stamps more than compensates them for whatever taxes they paid.
Algiers, Louisianna
I will probably take him up on his offer to give me such a tour; once I'm sure that he's alright.
The Side Of Caution
Something just told me that it wasn't prudent to be walking through Algiers, carrying my bag with my laptop and mp3 player along with my guitar and being lead by some dude whom I just met and who was just a bit insistent that I go along with him.
One must use a little more caution on that side of the river.
They don't have the billion dollar tourist industry; nor the web cams to cover every inch of it; like they do on the NOLA side...
Besides, he was describing things that I had no desire to eat when talking about the cornucopia of plenty which was some place a 20 minutes walk away. Through Algiers...
 Xanna
In the meantime, one of my ex-girlfriends now has a CD out; of piano music.
See 2002 for more about Xanna...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.