Tuesday, March 19, 2013

1 In 5 (odds of me showing up on time...)

Homeless Court
Tomorrow is the day for me to appear in "Homeless Court."
They are going to want some kind of commitment by me (in lieau of the 200 dollar fine) to one of their programs which are state funded and designed to get people off of the street and into any one of the empty houses which are here in NOLA.
I think that the population here went from one million to 400 thousand after hurricane Katrina almost 8 years ago. 
If I can pass myself off as a real "fixer upper" then they might help me to reconstruct my life.
I'm Not Signing Anything...
It is possible that I might go through their program, becoming more clean cut in the process; and sign some kind of lease to put me in a house; and then I could still travel. 
I could be like the guy that Alex from California has met in California, who is a street musician and who claims to have a house in New Orleans. 
I guess a house would always be nice to come back to; to rest ones bones after touring the nation and living off of music. 
I might even find a friend; perhaps Howard; who could pay a modest amount of rent to live in my house. 
Woke Up Depressed
That is about the main thing that is bugging me this morning. 
I woke up kind of depressed, for the first time in weeks (I'll have to search this blog for the word "depressed" to see when the last time was...) I'm pretty sure that, then; I was pretty much broke. 
I lent Rob (the new guy in the stand of trees with us) 2 dollars the other night; and he told me that he could pay me back on Thursday. 
Today is Tuesday. 
I am at the ferry terminal; plugged in and writing this as I wait for the ferry, which was just pulling away when I got here. 
The French Quarter, (Hanoi, Vietnam...)
The trip across the river is just out of the general principle that I am likely to find something over there; tobacco, food, alcohol, money...eventually a job, perhaps. 
Maybe I can sign on with those crews who come and sweep the streets with their little brooms and dustpans...I could sweep up all the trash around Tanya and Dorise as they play; and as I save up for amps and mixers.
Some of these business owners have seen me off and on for almost 2 years now; and I have exchanged friendly words with many of them... At this point, my plan is to try to follow through with the program that the Homeless Court will prescribe for me; knowing that I can bail out at any time..and at some point in the future; to travel.
I just hope they don't tell me that I have to stay in a shelter while I am seeking employment and waiting for a house to become available... That would try my patience....

2 comments:

  1. That might indeed be Wendell's situation: Homeless for a while, got a house through the program, plays at home in NOLA and also goes out on trips to places to play at times.

    I think Wendell may have his act together a bit more though. I doubt he drinks beer for breakfast and he never seemed to be drunk etc.

    You should not have to "fool them" into thinking you're a fixer-upper though, you *are* one, you fixed up that cave etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the era of "the cave" revisits me (see todays post)...
    Maybe I can put Howard in the house at a rent low enough (and can convince him that buying food in bulk and cooking it instead of eating McDonalds every day would save him enough to cover the rent) which he could mail to me at the Frisco version of Rebuild.
    As a recording studio and a place to keep things like music gear under lock and key; the house idea is appealing.
    I'm afraid that they are going to have to diagnose me with some kind of mental "disability" in order to help me; and I worry about them giving me medication which would make me batshit crazy; so they can say "See? Look; he's batshit crazy!!"

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.