Friday, January 25, 2013

A Couple of Parades Tonight

I played last night on Bourbon and Decatur Streets.
At first, I was headed for the ferry and was going to call it a night; eat and sleep and wake up broke; drink coffee and start fresh in the morning.
But, it was relatively early and I hit Bourbon Street and played until I had a couple bucks; to go with the 12 cents that I started with.
Off to the Unique Boutique, which was a walk all the way across the quarter; during which I got to see a lot of other performers; one of which I overheard to say: "I wish I had a cigarette" and none of them seemed to have had made much of anything.
There are some very good musicians here; and bands playing in the street that sound like they have been playing together for years. "Hillbilly" music is prevalent up and down Royal Street; with washboards and tub basses and the usual banjo; guitar; mandolin; fiddle being noticeable.
A lot of musicians are trying to hold onto spots for the upcoming feeding frenzy; which might start within the week; and are occupying them all day for very little in the way of tips; so that they will have established themselves "Hey, man; we've been on this spot all week" by the time that the 100 dollar bills start coming down like confetti; in a week or so.
After chugging down two beers, I found myself on Decatur Street, where about 7 bucks somehow found their way into my case. I was just trying to play as well as I could; but decided that it would be "Grateful Dead night" before I even sat down (in a recessed storefront; so as not to obstruct any passageways).
I figured the only way to go about busking in between the countless others was to distinguish myself by playing what few others were.

Tonight will be Friday night and I should probably consider the very same spot.
I sure hope that the coming season brings enough money so that I can hook up my other laptop; get a USB cable for the Obama phone; so that I can use the photos on this blog; and then maybe enough to travel.
I am tired of seeing nice oak wood laying around in places and not having a nice campsite to enjoy cooking on it and sitting next to the embers of.
And I kind of miss Sue, the Colombian Lady.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.