Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Anything To Say??

OK, Here is the jam
That I did earlier this evening.
I had warmed up that (this) morning, and was ready to blaze over certain music, regardless of the water splashing 10 feet away.
 
@Alex In California: Play Your Clarinet Like this (see video)
This My Jam is as follows:
  • C minor Part of Shakedown Street, by The Grateful Dead
  • Excerpt From Good Morning Starshine
  • Funk Jam In E*
The Funk jam in E is very similar to what I played for Doreens husband, who is also her tuba player/drummer, whose name escapes me, but who gave me a dollar and said "You've got something to say on that guitar."
This of course was one of the highlights of my tenure in New Orleans, and, after that day; as noted in this blog; I started to get free coffee and have doors held open for me by smiling security people; and I surmised at the time that Doreen, who is a staple amongst musicians that people come all the way around the world just to see, and has been for like 17 years, has connections that run deep in NOLA.
But, anyways, the jam at the end are the chords I use for "I'm A Funky, Skinny White Boy, Generally Speaking," which I used to do at Serdas open mic night.

2 comments:

  1. Doreen's very good. She's also got years of Classical training behind her, and *then* years of working her butt off in jazz. And a whole backing band. And she's just what people come to see - a black person playing a "band" instrument, playing Dixieland on it, with other black people playing other band instruments, like the drums and tuba.

    I need something that will work in a few months, or sooner. And it has to work as a solo show. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me add that, for instance, Django Reinhardt would not sound so cool if he didn't have his brother playing rhythm behind him, and a good rhythm guitarist is not a thing to be sneered at. Maybe you could play rhythm for Doreen and her crew, and be the token white hat-passer? That position is called "bottler" and a good bottler can double an act's take.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.