Sunday, October 28, 2012

65 Dollar Night

Woofstock
Jam On Franklins Tower/Sea Breeze 
Worth checking out, as it is an instrumental of a forgotten song that was once good to me
As I was saying Friday night, before a cop on a two wheeled thing came by and told me to unplug my laptop and that using the cities electricity in the park is a $125 fine, and that he was trying to "keep me out of jail," which I think is a phrase the cops use just so they can invoke the word "jail" and strike fear into people.
I then began to type "to be continued" and was just able to hit the Publish button before he pulled the power cord out himself, thinking that I was defying him and disrespecting him by continuing to type anything at all or hit any button at all.
I told him what I was doing and then bull****ed that " my audience surely saw you approaching through my web cam and would wonder what happened if they were so suddenly disconnected." I guess I said that so I could invoke the word "web-cam" and strike fear into him. (Youtube: Cop caught on video harassing homeless man in a park and unplugging his laptop...).
But, of coarse if that law is indeed on the books then he might wiggle out of it...
People Walking Dogs
Now I sit in the same park on Sunday in the early afternoon, plugged in and blogging away. I am hearing the strains of Lilly The Banjo Player, who is in the same park about 100 feet from me. There is a big dog related even happening in the other park, called Woofstock with a couple hundred people with a couple hundred dogs on a couple hundred leashes and booths set up everywhere.
Not to burst Lillys bubble if she has one, but, I have found in 6 years of busking that people walking pets are some of the worst tippers.
This is probably because most of them are locals, out walking their dogs and are so close to their home that they didn't bother to bring any money. And my second theory is that their drive to be generous and to support someone or thing has been diverted to their pet and they have satisfied their need to "nurture" already by getting little Poopie a sweater and a new collar and are satisfied with that. Much like a family that has a baby and then circles their wagons around it and stops donating to ambiguous charities to help other peoples children has way around the world...just a theory from someone who DID take one semester of Psychology at Fitchburg State College in Massachusetts.
The 65 Bucks
You're Imagining Things, Daniel...
After I decided to stay in Mobile, rather than go to Jacksonville, I was almost immediately "rewarded" it seemed by a 20 dollar tip; then another one (the one contested by Terry, the 55 year old black man, who insisted that it had been for both of us -even though the man handed the bill to me rather than put it in my case, which was between Terry and I; an important detail, I think).
Then, I made a few more singles before packing up and leaving the acoustically superior spot and Terry, who was still sitting there, mumbling. I gave him 2 dollars.
After buying a beer, I went to a place by the Saenger Theater where Bonnie Raitt was inside playing. I listened to a couple songs through a crack in the old brick wall, (which is my beer drinking spot partly for that reason) then I sat in front and played, making a few more singles and most notably a 10 dollar bill from a young lady who had stepped outside to smoke a cigarette and asked me "What have you got?"  to which my response was to play "Your Song," by Elton John, which produced another 5 dollar bill from her as well as one from another person, bringing the total up to around 65 bucks, on the night that I decided to stay in Mobile.
If I was the type of person that imagines things, I would think that Mobile wants me to stay here, as if the place has a collective subconscious. There are certainly enough people that walk around handing out "tracks" for me to read and to pray upon. They seem to prey upon me.
Saturday night, I came out and asked one of them "Can you tell just by looking at me that I need to be saved?"
"No, not at all, we're ALL sinners," they said. The hat, the ponytail, the cigarette in your mouth and the can of beer in your hand weren't dead give-aways at all...
A 2 Dollar Night
Then, cold winds blew in Saturday morning. The temperatures dropped to 53 degrees and there were people out, but they were mostly wearing flimsy Halloween costumes that offer no thermal protection at all (especially for those "masquerading" as swimsuit models and such...) and they scurried from the warmth of one bar to the warmth of the next, not pausing at all to hear any little ditties.
Soon, I decided to take the 2 dollars and go wrap up in my fleece blanket and sleeping bag; and so I walked through the deserted streets to my spot and did just that.
I was happy to have gotten all of my laundry done earlier that day; which ate my 65 dollars (along with a few beers and a pack of smokes) down to 46 dollars.
The cynic would say that Mobile wasn't trying to keep you here Friday night, they were giving you money to get the hell out of town with....

3 comments:

  1. Good on the $65 night.

    As the Internet dies, it's getting harder and harder to post on here - or anywhere - so while I feel like I'm posting on my own blog all about my secret fishing hole, I have a feeling that within the next year or so it will become moot. People will be back to writing letters in a few years.

    So, I went and busked today. I only did, I think, a bit over an hour. I've played a PVC flute I made at the same exact spot for if anything a longer time, and made something like $2, so the clarinet is better than what looks like a scrap piece of PVC with some holes in it.

    I squeaked a lot, and only knew a few songs, but it's a start.

    There's a sax player named Lutemann who plays outside the A&M Peanut Shop in Mobile, AL so if you are ever by there, you might look him up. Mobile might be a good place to be a homeless bum in. Since your ability to travel is just about zero, you'd better pick a place that's right in that little region you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a state fair in town this week and that is the only thing keeping me from hopping one of those ever present trains that stop right in front of my sleeping spot with their empty boxcar doors agape; I could be there for Halloween at the drop of a hat (excuse the pun) and could wear a mask so the cop might not recognize me LOL
    There are two old timers who sit in front of the Peanut Shop almost any Saturday afternoon; one of them chunks away on a banjo and the other guy, perhaps your Lutemann, plays mostly trombone (and sings) but I've seen him with a sax; they play old time stuff like Bill Bailey Won't You Come Home, and Hello Dolly; I jammed with them once and they gave me a booklet on how to play "swing rhythm guitar" which would mostly have me chunking away; 4 staccato chords per measure in strict time and none of that fancy Grateful Dead stuff that I was throwing in which might draw attention away from the tronbonist...I've studied the book and it is a rehash of chords that Mark Marquis gave me back when I was taking lessons and he never placed the restriction of 4 chords a measure; no funny stuff on me -I guess because he is a jazz musician and not a WWII era disciplinarian; but I would have gotten more out of Marks lesson if he HAD said "These ore the chourds you hear on all those old timey recordings; check out some Glen Miller, you might learn something!"
    As far as the $2 you made; those might be the rare 2 people who will throw you something even though it looks like nobody else did; had you kept going you might have caught the slightly larger subset of people who will throw you something because it looks like a couple other people did (maybe those 2 know more about music than they..) pretty soon you will have enough in your hat to start raking it in from the set of people who will think "This guy looks like he's got it going on; (he may be struggling with this song here; but) we must have just missed a good jam..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on a wild goose chase after an alto sax yesterday, ... thanks, mr Craig's List Seller, for not mentioning the HUGE-ASS-DENT in it...

    today went to mountain view after another sax, it would cost me about $600 to get all set up with that baby.... I say, forget it. Back to cornet/trumpet and actually, being a brass player can be pretty sweet - being adept on the cornet and trumpet, means I'll pretty much be checked out on flugelhorn, stuff like the "mellophone" which is a sort of Midwestern high school french horn, trombone if I don't mind learning slide positions, and even the real french horn..... and ... tuba.

    So, I'm about to head home from Mountain View here, on my good old ride-all-day VTA daypass, and will take a look at Sunnyvale's "Ace Loan Office", and "Starving Musician" in Santa Clara, and see if they have a decent cornet or trumpet I can relieve them of.

    Then home and practice! I've done a fair amount of lip-buzzing these last few days, and I think I can play a few things right away. Tomorrow's halloween, and I plan to be out playing.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.