Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What Was I Thinking

  • New mp3 Hosting Site
  • Boarded Up Studios Shutdown
...when I posted last nights mix of Free MP3 download: Sultans_of_Swing.mp3
We Started Out With Frying Pans;
Keep Plugging Away, Daniel!

I have remixed it, and fixed it some more, reducing the obnoxious frying pan hit with a stick and boosting up the 5 gallon bucket covered with a towel and hit with a palm.
I also notice that the song wasn't playing from the Kiwi6 website (maybe a blessing in disguise...) so I have migrated to Tin Deck, and I think it sounds better already.
It's a dog-eat-dog world, and if the Kiwi6 free hosting site isn't working for me, than someone else can get nothing from me, instead of them... 
  • Two acoustic guitars
  • One electric guitar
  • One cast iron frying pan (8 inch diameter)
  • One five gallon bucket
  • One vocal

I also reduced the second acoustic guitar so that it is the same level as the first and only sticks out when plucked louder than the first.
This is the final mix and is about all I could wring out of the mediocre performance, which left me thinking that I hadn't really "nailed" the song, but I suppose it would do, if someone on the street were to ask "Do you know any Dire Straits? I'll give you a buck if you can play some..."
Power Out?
The owner of the boarded up building showed up this morning with the guy that cuts the grass, who cut the grass.
Soon after their arrival, the power to my laptop went out.
They must have gone inside and flipped the circuit breaker to the outside outlet off.
This might be the very last recording from the boarded up building/studio. And, I had my heart set upon finishing the "Sue Song," which I worked on a little bit yesterday...


4 comments:

  1. Err, just go inside and flip the breaker back on?

    The Internet just gets slower and harder to use ... The Internet finally let me listen to your Sultans of Swing, ow my ears.

    I'll sign up for that audio hosting site too, because I need to get some audio files on my page so you can bag on 'em. And beginning violin students typically sound AWFUL so you should be able to get your licks in.

    I need to download Audacity too, since I have this fancy-schmancy mic here but it doesn't come with software, and from the reviews Audacity seems to be the least annoying to use?

    My little Fender Frontman 15G is OUTSTANDING from my perspective ... pre-amp that I can switch in or out, aux imputs if I ever want 'em, plenty of uh, sound, and all used at geetar center for 30 bucs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Audacity will give a menu for selecting whatever input you plug your awesome mic into; When I was 15 I "memorised" the solo off of the Dire Straits record and could actually kind of fake it all the way through; but, when I recored the song I was torn between trying to remember the damn thing and thinking "I've developed an ability to make stuff up as I go along and kind of even gotten in the habit..." but I'm sorry for the assault in the ears; that really is the kind of stuff that you get for free outside he Winn Dixie; if I wanted to study the tablature and practice it with a metronome, I could most likely fake the song closer to what was on the record but I mostly decided to totally depart from what I memorised as a 15 year old ....
    I might have made the mistake of not using Marks distinctive style of playing with fingers rather than pick..it is (obviously) easier to mimick the trademark "I've heard that before a hundred times" phrasing of those 3 fingered chord pull-offs, because that is what Mark is actually doing on the album (that went on to become "gold"; I guess that's what you get for free on the sidewalk across from the hot dog cart these days! LOL I probably screwed them up a notch with each instrument that I added; it really did sound like a decent recording of a guy just strumming a guitar and singing the song; (which, frankly wasn't interesting enough to me to make me refrain from adding stuff to it)
    But though I made a lot of mistakes, at least I didn't make the one of NOT pouring every ounce of energy and my whole heart into that song, dude...I felt like I was laying bare my soul, like Harry represented myself to myself and I was seeing deep spiritual paralells like seeing the music in color but...hmmm, so you thought it sucked, well can't win em all lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS The song has taught me, upon my reflecting on a certain verse, to really not mind if I don't make the scene LOL!
    So, you are saying eggs and mature tomatos if I go anywhere within 20 miles of a Dire Straits performance and try to busk that out, huh?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to do the SofS solo on my violin, and I will one day.

    Actually the guitar didn't bother me that much, it was just lazy guitar. It's that "mannerisms" have crept into your voice, that you can't possibly be aware of, or you'd train them out I'm sure. Again, it sounds like Eric Cartman grew up and is now a street musician.

    I'm getting busy; lab work coming in plus the usual crap around here plus reconnoitering the place I may move to on Saturday or Sunday, plus I'm selling stuff on Craig's List and stuff is starting to sell so ... my violin-time seems to be late at night kinda like your guitar-time. But I need to get some recordings of myself onto my page because starting out I'll be really crappy and it'll be a laugh. I mean, I have very poor bow control right now, and in general, after 2 months of lessons 5 years ago and nothing else until now, my musical sense means I can play something and you can sure as hell tell what I'm playing and it's not bad, except my sheer crappiness and muscle-untrainedness means it sounds like the violin is crying and I'm gonna kill myself. It's fucking funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.