Monday, July 23, 2012

September, 2008, Saint Augustine, Florida
. I found this on flickr.com
First, and foremost, Sherman is a musician, and he has written some pieces for the electric guitar, the following of which is one which he considers one of his best...
So, please enjoy:
Shermans Song

I feel like I owe Sue something; she basically said that if I might be able to get the Samsung laptop to work and use it; and that she had too much stuff to carry around already; but I could fix the screen on this one (Sherman found one on e-bay same model "for parts" for 35 bucks -the only "part" I would need would be the screen though) Maybe I could buy it, take out the screen, then list it back on e-bay as "Acer laptop, just needs a screen, 35 bucks lol) and then list mine, working fine, for 80 bucks or so and wind up with an almost brand new Samsung and 80 bucks in my pocket;
I would feel kind of guilty about selling something that was a gift (from Martin in West Virginia) though.
When my guitar (the one shown, I think) was stolen in Mobile, Alabama a couple of years ago, someone (Scott the paramedic) gave me one that he had "laying around the house."
September, 2008 at my "church" spot in Saint Augustine,
with Doug, The Drummer
After I made 80 bucks with it the first night (it was Beerfest night and I could have made money whistling Dixie) I traded it, along with 25 bucks for a "better" guitar. I could detect a little bit of disappointment when Scott came by and saw me with a different guitar; he might have been hoping that I would become famous and he could point to the video on MTV and say "There's my old guitar!" LOL
Studio Time
Sherman's got his studio set up and now is my chance to take advantage of it; time to force myself to be spontaneous, I guess.
Howard is the only problem; if it wasn't for him out there in S'Ville, I would have no reason to go there; I could hang at Shermans and be 5 minutes walk from my busking spot which has been pretty consistent with 50 - 80 bucks per weekend; I don't spend as much at Shermans, either because its a pain in the ass to go to the nearest (1.5 mi.) store and back so if I go get a couple beers and then want a third or fourth one, I usually blow it off...
In Limbo
I still have the traveling bug, but its possible that I can replace my guitar and get a new reed plate for the Lee Oskar using the proceeds from this situation and then travel with more earning power at my disposal; I guess I need to be smart and not just hit the road in my underwear and barefoot, so to speak...
Now that I hardly see Howard he seems to be in limbo; its possible that he is unable to make his own decisions and just waits until the wind comes and blows him in some direction. I have been telling him that I want to travel for 3 months now and the longer I stay somewhere, the more reason there is to stay there (like having an air conditioned recording studio/place to crash and a busking spot that "produces" the only thing I don't know is if busking in Santa Cruz for example would produce so much more as to make the 76 bucks I make here on a typical weekend laughable; like 76 per night, or something...

1 comment:

  1. I just did a write-up on my day in Santa Cruz today, it may be some time before The Internet will let me publish it though.

    Ultimately, I don't know how Santa Cruz will pay. The weather is WONDERFUL and basically you don't have to pay for food so there's that. Also, the whole town isn't that big so you see a lot of bicycles, because you can go anywhere you need to on one. So there's a fair amount of "pay" in terms of how a person can live there as opposed to San Jose or even Gilroy. This time of year is miserable here.

    I know I was making $100 or so on a good day hustling handicrafts. Good buskers may have been making more because people don't like to spend TIME and they can barely break their stride while tossing a few bucks to a busker.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.