Monday, May 21, 2012

First, A Correction

Help On The Way?
Yesterdays Post Title,
Quoted my mother as referring to this blog as being "repetitive."
She actually used no such poor grammar, she was the Valor Victorian of her high school class, and holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration (or something like that) and knows full well that "repetitive" would imply that I had so many blogs, including this one, that are so similar in nature that this blog just reiterates all the others.
She used the word "repetitious," indicating that certain themes "repeatedly" arise in my day to day posts.
Toning My Audacity
Secondly, my focus is now on digging into the Audacity Software Manual, in pursuit of that elusive good sounding recording that I have been trying to make for the past almost month.
I don't know how many readers echo the sentiments of Alex in California, who had been very supportive in the past and who probably feels that he has wasted his time on someone who not only is a terrible musician, but a terrible musician so stupid that he endeavors to make a living playing terrible music.
It is on Facebook that I will eventually "unveil" my stuff, once I deem it worthy. 
Many readers of this blog are people who have encountered me on playing on the street, from Saint Augustine, Florida, through Mobile, Alabama and into New Orleans, who had asked me for tis blog address, interested in "following" me, usually after complimenting me on my music, curious about where it might "take me," and wishing me luck.
Apology In Order
I've let down a lot of people...
I fear that I have done a disservice to all, by posting up my initial crappy recordings and it hasn't been fair to people who would probably otherwise want to tell their friends "this is the guy we saw playing on Bourbon Street; this is the song we were telling you about" but are too embarrassed to do so now.
I was so excited about being able to actually publish music that I never bothered to make sure it was sounding right. I guess I kind of wanted to start with crappy recordings, like the Grateful Dead one's from 1966, and then grow and develope them, along with my studio skills into the masterpieces of that same band from the late 70's through about November 4th, 1985...
Alex said something to the effect of not wanting to suggest one of his favorite songs for me to work on, out of fear of having it massacred by me in my studio (see yesterdays comments), after saying "You're awful."
I am taking that as a personal challenge, and I hope he made his comments as a means of giving me a "reality check" and is just trying to help me.
I hope he doesn't want his hat back!
Give Me One More Chance
"Those Are Your Best Songs, I Think" -Larry (right)
I will make a good recording, if it takes me all night and will post it in a day or so. It won't be an original which I am writing as I go, but will be one of my "best songs," (as judged by Larry, the other street musician that I met in Jacksonville, Florida about 5 years ago, now. "Those are your best songs, I think," said Larry, referring on one of the songs that I am going to record tonight.)


 

2 comments:

  1. Dude, don't apologize, just better yourself and your life. Not just musically, i think people want to see you improve your general lot in life more than your 'rise to super stardom". Or maybe just you striving toward it. If they have higher expectations that is their problem.

    I played your songs for a couple people. Here is the honest, constructive criticism from people that have no idea who you are, even as much as this blog is concerned. They all think your guitar is good (especially once you get into it), and you have a nice unique voice. Some said your singing needs work (like you have a tool but are winging how to use it), and they all have asked me why there is an echo. They think its a technical problem not an asset. The harp makes them and me cringe. Sorry bro :P

    You have to keep in mind that a guy busking on the street is rated on a different scale than a recording of the same musician. Obviously a live performance has other stimuli an a naturalness that adds to the overall feel. People usually are forgiving of a missed note or an off key verse or whatever. If your busking they aren't there probably long enough to notice anyway. On a recording, there is only the piece itself that people have to go by, and the standard may be higher. People still want your 'void' but they want the technique with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great blog.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.