Monday, January 30, 2012

In The Hands of One Man

Preface
About three weeks ago, when I ran into Sue, she was reading a book entitled "Human Sacrifice," and as that title might suggest, the book was an historical overview of the practice.
I thought it cute that Sue was using the book to put herself to sleep, and I would have taken a picture of her zonked out with "Human Sacrifice" next to her head and labelled it "Sue's taste in bedtime stories..." if the Sprint LG was charging up.
Another Free Recipe
Then, I started developing a mysterious craving for a special coconut milk based dish that I once created, and started to eat a lot more coconut, ginger, rice noodles etc. This was when Sue and I were "together."
We are "off again" right now, but even last night, I poured coconut milk into a bowl, added a lot of ginger, some black pepper and some sesame oil; crumbled in some cornflour burrito-shell type bread, and then added the "crowning" touch by inserting KA-ME gluten-free Brown Rice Crisps (teriyake), and a pinch of garlic salt.
I then let the concoction "stand" to allow the crisps to soften for as long as I could stand it, myself, and had one of the best gourmet meals since the night before, when it came out splendidly, but not quite as excellently, as last night.
Then, Sue and I split up, as I recall, and I found a book in the free book rack at the Rebuild Center, entitled "Hawaii," and as that title might suggest, it is about that island. It is by James Mitchner, I believe and is based upon the actual history, at least as it has been recorded.
So, I am reading about Hawaii, and about how coconuts floated thousands of miles to beach themselves there, but couldn't grow for thousands of years because the soil, while having plenty of iron, lacked other nutrients etc., when, soon the book is focusing upon the first inhabitants, who came from places like Bora Bora, and who were ardent practicioners of, you guessed it; human sacrifice!
And so, I have concluded that Sue might be doing some kind of "voodu hex" thing where she is trying to re-order the universe so that I can't escape thinking of her. The connection between her reading about the history of human sacrifice, and then the coconuts, then the book about Hawaii, which starts with human sacrifice as a main theme is just too uncanny.
Yesterday
I set about yesterday,
to find a harmonica holding neck brace type thing.
After discovering that the Guitar Bar on Decatur Street was out of that product, and remembering vaguely seeing a pretty expensive price upon one, the last time they had it in stock, I decided to take a grass roots approach and walk around informing every street musician who plays a harp, that I am in the market for a harp holding neck brace type thing, in hopes that one of them would have an extra one which he might be willing to part with.
The first one that I encountered was Joe, "Mr. Joejangles," The One Man Band, who told me that he had an old neck brace type thing, somewhere in his van, and offered to retrieve it for me and sell it to me for 10 bucks, as soon as he took a break.
I was excited at the prospect of adding a harp to my sound as soon as that evening.
Upon further introspection, Joe thought about times when he had attracted the attention of the law, by rummaging through is own van, dressed as he does, and in the interest of avoiding a similar irritation told me that it may be a while before he has a chance to do his rummaging at a car wash or some place less suspicious than the French Quarter.

1 comment:

  1. The book "Hawaii" is by James Michener.

    I just sent to you, at your Gravier St address, a large Priority Mail box containing:

    "An 'harmonica", a Lee Oskar in G to be exact. I can't think of a better harp, in a better key.

    The "Jim Dunlop" harmonica neck brace thing. I'll put a picture of how it's supposed to work on my blog, assuming anyone ever reads the thing which I doubt.

    A book of hints and tips for playing the harmonica.

    Half of my fucking town is closed on Monday, although I'm surprised anyone is open any day, the economy's so dead.

    Just work on getting a strap for your guitar, in a few days you'll have a "Cadillac" harmonica and brace set-up. It all cost me $80 lol! Here's hoping you make that much the first day.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.