Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Egg

The Haystack
This morning I woke up with the sun and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went to the Save-A-Lot, to wash up and discovered a broken egg in my backpack.
I had forgotten all about putting two eggs in there, the previous morning.
I had a dream that I found my backpack somewhere, and I was sure that a bird had built a nest in it, because it was open.
Karrie and I used to live in a wooded area where birds would build nests in anything that is left hanging on a tree, or left open.
Sure enough, (in the dream), when I disturbed my backpack, a fat, swollen bird jumped out. It looked like it was in the process of laying an egg. The subconscious mind is a mystery, for sure.
I was in the last bench in the back of the second trolley. There was a black man sleeping in the seat immediately in front of me. Out of about 20 seats, he chose to sleep in the one next to me. I remembered him arriving at about 4 in the morning. I wrapped my guitar strap around my wrist and went back to sleep. He must have felt safer sleeping near someone else.
I've seen him around town, but can't recall if he is a bum, or a decent person. I get my homeless people confused, there being so many of them.
The Needle
I Find My Old Friends
That morning (friday) I googled the name of a girl that I used to babysit, back in the 90's. I had always meant to get around to doing that, and this was the morning that I did.
It took some sleuthing to navigate from MySpace, to the website of the sports bar where she is a waitress in Tucson, to her Facebook page, where I found her, along with her mom and sister. It seems to have made each of our days.
We sent some messages back and forth, and relived some memories.
She (Jenny) is 27 now, married and has a little girl. It made me long to go back to the time when we all lived in Middleburg, Florida and I had a job and a car, and a house to stay in. But, we are all products of our choices.
I left the library walking on a cloud. I had a renewed sense of optimism, probably due to ruminating upon a time when I was a lot more optimistic.
Then, as I had less than 5 bucks, I bought an Earthquake High Gravity Lager, drank it behind the store where I ran into Sheldon, an acquaintance who smoked some botanical incense with me. This combination sent me on my way into town, where I played and drank more and only made about 10 bucks before I was too drunk to want to continue. Earthquake also has the tendency to put me in a foul mood and I will just stand and watch the people, not really feeling any urge to entertain them; seeing the dark side of human nature in them.
I should have known better, about the Earthquakes. Any beverage named after a natural disaster is best avoided. This goes for Hurricane Lager as well.
Then, I went to my sleeping spot and used my backpack as a pillow, having totally forgotten that I had two eggs inside of it.
Tonight should be another opportunity to make some money. I need to get a duffel bag large enough to hold all my stuff, so that I can begin to roam.
There is a music festival in a couple weeks in Live Oak, Florida, which seems to be maybe 200 miles from here, down Rt. 10.
I think that if I made a sign which read "Wanee Music Festival" and stood by the exit with my guitar on my back and my thumb out, I whould be able to get there. Or, if nobody picks me up, I will have to re-assess my opinion about the basic goodness of humanity, and maybe just try to get a job in a supermarket and dwindle away the rest of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.