Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Things Turn Around




Tuesday, after leaving The Waterfront Rescue Mission, I walked through a light rain, to the store, and bought an energy drink on my food card, above the warnings of the lady behind the glass that it would make my heart explode.

A Man Gives Me A Dollar


I was headed towards the library, with the energy drink and the $1.06, which had been spared from being spent on a Steel Reserve, in favor of said energy drink.


I heard a voice cry out, from across the grassy field, and saw two figures sitting behind the dumpster, on the other side of it.


I diddn't recognize them, due to the absence of my glasses from my face, and was almost ready to continue on, sure that they were going to have me walk all the way over there so they could try to bum a cigarette. I had no cigarettes; just an energy drink and $1.06.


It turned out to be a guy whom I had met before and who had turned out to be a decent guy. He was with a decent looking (in a homeless way) lady.


I had played guitar for him at our first meeting. He introduced me to the lady, gave me a few cigarettes and a dollar, and then they went off to some appointment.


More Good Fortune


I left the library, after the last post, and took my $2.06 to the store and got two cans of 211, and drank them, while listening to AM talk radio.

I then went to the median, and played for a while, starting off with 32 cents; the change from the beer purchase.


A guy gave me 5 bucks after rolling his window down and recognizing the music of Jim Croce.


Night was falling, as I walked to the Exxon, after dropping some heavier things at the railroad spot.

A Man Buys Me A Sub

I went into the Exxon and got a 211, and drank it behind the store. I was returning for one more, when a man, who was entering, held the door for me and asked me if I was "alright," and then, if I wanted a sub from Subway. He bought me "anything you want," which was a vegetable sub with all the hot stuff on it.


Corrie, And Her Cream Filled Doughnut


Emerging from the store, with sub in hand, I ran into the guy who had been with Corrie, the time when I met her, and she said that she had heard that I was very good on the guitar, and had begged me to play for her.


We exchanged pleasantries, and then he said "Here comes your buddy," or words to that effect. I looked to see none other than Corrie, riding up on her bike. She looked to be her same animated self. She was wearing a tank top and looked pretty. (simulation->)


I found out from her that she was there hoping for a rendezvous with the man who delivers the doughnuts to the Exxon. He apparently knows her (them) and gives away the doughnuts which are to be thrown away otherwise. Corrie was hoping to eat a cream filled one, and, according to her, there hadn't been any for a couple of nights. "Cream filled must sell out fast," I said.

She told me that, yes, they do.

I could see in her expression, both hope of getting a cream filled doughnut, and a willing acceptance of the fact that they are often sold out. There was a cautious optimism in her blue eyes.


Her eyes are a very bright blue, and one of them drifts slightly, giving her a dazzled expression, which is in keeping with a girl whose biggest concern might be to make it to the Exxon in time for the arrival of the doughnut man.

The man arrived, and parked his Krispy Kreme truck, by the gas pumps. Corrie and company descended upon it. The man stepped out and greeted them with a smile, walked to the back of the truck, opened the door, and sent them on their way, cradling boxes of doughnuts.

The goods were checked, and a creme filled doughnut was indeed discovered in one box by "Will," who handed it to Corrie, who bit into it then said: "That's what I'm talking about!"


I saw the doughnut man, watching all this from inside the store, where he was loading the case with "fresh ones." He kept glancing at Corrie, as she devoured the creme filled doughnut, with an amused smile on his face.

I would hazard a guess that this is his favorite part of the job of Krispy Kreme deliveryman.

"He's really nice; he knows us," said Corrie, licking the last of the cream off her tanned fingers.

I'm sure you saw to it that he did, I was thinking, but didn't say it.

A Kid Gives Me 3 Bucks
I left, after declining an invitation from Corrie to hang out with them. I don't need to become any more attracted to her. The similarities between her and another person who has occupied a lot of space in this journal in the past, is almost eerie. A creme filled doughnut, though, is cheaper than a fifth of liquor, and probably makes a girl sweeter to kiss...

I walked to Serda's, after reclaiming the heavier stuff from the railroad spot.

I had $3.36 left, and half a vegetable sub.
There was a group of young people at the tables in front of the place.

A youth, who I didn't quite recognize, came over and handed me 3 bucks.
Maybe he is one of the followers of my blog, who read about me waking up with 6 cents. Maybe he is one of the listeners at the Songwriter's Open Mic, I don't know.
Now, I had $6.36. Enough for HOW MANY cream filled doughnuts?....hmmm....

5 Bucks And Change

Leaving Serda's, I was in the mood to try to play my modified guitar. I had been struck with an inspiration.

At the acoustically superior spot, I re tuned it to an "open A" tuning. This stretched the strings which were in the wrong spots, bringing them closer to the pitches that they would be in, if they were in the right spots.

It sounded great, and, even though I planned to just amuse myself, as it was getting pretty late, a guy came from out of nowhere and threw 5 bucks in my case.

Another threw some change. I love the open A tuning. I sounded like Chet Atkins on steroids.
I lied down on the sleeping bag on the marble with $11.61, after having woken up that morning with 6 cents and a mis-strung guitar.
I decided to stop hating everybody and everything for a little while, just as an experiment.
A Guy Gives Me 2 Bucks

I woke up just as the sun was rising. I knew that it was about 6:45, as I pay attention to the sun, now that my alarm clock has been stolen from right by my head.

I headed for The Coffee Club.
In front of one of the hotels, a well dressed black man struck up a conversation with me, after seeing me pick up a butt from the sidewalk.

He wound up giving me 2 bucks and a cigarette, and telling me that I should go speak to a lady at the Seaman's Lounge, about playing guitar in there for money. He said that she was "looking for someone," until she gets a band "in there."
He added that Jesus loves me, and that "Everything I've told you is good."

Coffee Club, Rainbow Kids, New Orleans Update

I Ate at the Coffee Club, then played their piano a bit. A lady came over and asked me what I was playing. I told her that I was "making it up," as I was. She said that it was beautiful. I said that I was going to call it "Corrie."

I spent $2.19 on cigarettes (special deal) and came here to the library, where I met some Rainbow Kids. We talked for a while about cosmic things, and then they mentioned that they were fresh from New Orleans.

One of them said that it was crazily dangerous there, and people would jump you and beat you and rob you just because you are white. There is a lot of "white hating," there, he summed it up. "They will come to the spot where you sleep and beat you and rob you, just because they have nothing better to do.


Another one said that I would be alright if I got in with other musicians and I was careful. He said that one needs to go around in a group, not alone, in New Orleans.

Another 2 Dollars

While sitting there, talking to the Rainbow kids, a guy with a shaven head came and sat on the bench next to us. He was probably overhearing our conversation. At one point, he handed us 8 dollars, and said that The Lord spoke to him and told him to give us each 2 dollars. This gave me $13.42, and a full pack of cigarettes. I would mess it up by the end of the day, as one can read in tommorow's post (I'm adding this "tommorow")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.