Friday, June 25, 2010

Thrilling Thursday

To Pritchard, And Back

Yes, waking up broke yesterday presented the challenge of going "cold turkey," as far as beer and cigarettes were concerned. I wasn't going to beg for them, that isn't in my "constitution."

I was walking towards McDonalds to beg for a one dollar cup of coffee, though, when up pulled a black man in a black Lexus at an intersection that I was about to cross. Actually he was kind of reddish-black, with cute little horns. He offered me a ride. After I moved his pitchfork off of the front seat and got in, I told him that I was going to McDonalds, to bum a cup of coffee.

"Really, do you want beer instead?," he asked. I felt the cross that I wear around my neck, burning into my skin. I figured that maybe I could pour some cold beer on it, to help the situation. Hot coffee would only make it worse.
We went to the store. He came out of the store with a 4 pack of Steel Reserve 211, his brand. He offered me cigarettes, as we sat and drank beer and talked. He said that he was working on his house in Pritchard, and might be able to employ me in "cleaning bricks," then took me there, to show me what was entailed in that project. We wound up drinking more beer and watching videos. He told me to pick one out. I grabbed one at random. It was a tape that had on it, first Richard Prior (Pritchard Rior?) and then, Michael Jackson's 30 year anniversary video. It so happens that we watched it a year to the day after his death.
By the time he brought me back from Pritchard, it was 10pm., and I had missed Ben, the ambulance driver, who had some new guitar strings to give me. Ben had driven around looking for me, while I was in the depths of Pritchard, a country town, outside of Mobile, Alabama.





No Free Lunch

I woke up with $15.00, this morning.

But, I am the butterfly; the flower is The Mobile Bay Adventure Inn, tomorrow...
It was 6:20am., so I went back to sleep, thinking that I would wake up in time for The Coffee Club, at the Presbyterian church. I woke up just in time to miss The Coffee Club at the Presbyterian church. The few homeless, who were straggling out, seemed more than amused to be able to tell me that "They closed, you too late!" (Ha ha, ha ha ha!) Why are they like that? Is it a side effect of the "crab" mentality?

I went to McDonald's and had just coffee. I didn't want to McSpend any more of my precious 15 dollars. Then, to the store, where I wasn't so miserly when it came to a pack of cigarettes. I put myself in the position where, if I couldn't meet up with Ben, the ambulance driver, who has some guitar strings to give me, I would have to burn all of my remaining money, in going across town, to get some. I would then have to jump out on the ramp there, and play for tips. This might not be a bad thing, as, I have heard it said that the panhandlers there, do very well. One of them just put a down payment on a condo on Dauphin Island, rumor has it...

Butterflies In My Stomach



Now, I'm at the library. I will miss the lunch at 15 Place, and blog in place of it. At least I won't have a totally empty stomach.



My mission is to learn a bunch of easy songs for my gig tomorrow, at the hotel. Hotel California just came to mind, though it isn't "easy." Maybe "Easy Livin'"...yeah, and "Living On A Prayer," that's it; and "Like a Prayer," and "Like a Virgin" and "Like a Rolling Stone!" and "Like a Hurricane I had better get busy, putting on my new strings, and brushing up on my material, so I will sound like a musician. I actually have butterflies in my stomach. (I ate some, off of a lavender bush)


Yes, Porsha and crew pulled into the library parking lot, in their ambulance (lights flashing, siren wailing); they scrambled out, and ran over to me with two sets of guitar strings on a stretcher. That's how it happened, except for everything except them giving me new strings...

I was in a state of emergengy over the dull strings on my Johnson guitar, with the gig looming tomorrow. Bad enough, playing a Johnson, without having to fight rusted strings on top of it.

I joked that, If I am ever struck by a car and someone calls for an ambulance, I will ask them to check to see if Bubba is on the crew; if so, I will tell them to cancel the call, and I'll take my chances with self-healing...
Coming Soon
Daniel to hop a freight train, to visit Karrie in Jacksonville?
A fisherman explains which train, which track, where and how to hop it etc. It stops in Jacksonville, he adds....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bottles that wash up with notes in them